Transition Week 2019
Dear Parents / Carers
Transition Week 2019
We are very excited about the new Year 6 starting school here in September. Thank you again for choosing Neatherd. We hope that this is the start of a positive relationship going forward for the next five years.
As you are aware, all new pupils are invited to spend a whole week with us between Thursday 18th and Wednesday 24th July to have a chance to experience taster lessons, get used to the school and meet other Year 6 students. On the first day, we will cover everything needed to make sure students can succeed in Year 7. On Monday and Tuesday and Wednesday of the second week pupils will have taster lessons to prepare them for September. On Friday 19th year 6 will be part of our inclusive Sports Festival and need to arrive wearing sports kit. They will be participating in sporting activities all day both inside and out so please send with hats, sunblock and a refillable water bottle. I am sure that this will make your child feel less anxious and more excited about the transition to secondary school in September.
Below are a few details about the week:
- Pupils need to wear their current school uniform and bring a pencil case containing pens, pencils, ruler, rubber etc. except on Friday, they need to wear sports kit. They will be wearing this all day.
- Pupils from the following Primary Schools will be transported by school buses into Neatherd High School – Garverstone, Hockering, Mattishall, North Elmham, Swanton Morley, Thomas Bullock and Yaxham. Pupils will need to take the enclosed letter as authority to travel on the school bus for their intake days. They will therefore experience five full school day’s at Neatherd; arriving here between 8:30am and 8:40am. The day will finish at 3:30pm when pupils will be taken by the school bus and dropped back at their respective villages. For more details on Bus Collection and pick up points, look here: schooltravel.norfolk.gov.uk/schoolbustimes
- As always Norfolk Travel and Transport make no guarantee there will be enough space for all year 6s to travel as they have not yet looked into all the loadings and the timetables and routes may change over the summer holiday so all parents are advised to check the website (http://schooltravel.norfolk.gov.uk/schoolbustimes/) in the last week of August for the latest times.
- Pupils attending any other schools will need to make their own way into school by 8:40am ready for a 8:45am start in the sports hall. Prefects will be at the front of the school (red doors) ready to meet and greet your son/daughter and escort them to the sports hall. The day will finish at 3:30pm when pupils can be collected from school or suitable arrangements made for their safe return home.
- Our canteen will be available if pupils wish to purchase food; they will need to bring in some money for this (a main meal, dessert and drink costs about £2.30). Pupils may also bring a packed lunch if they would like to. Pupils entitled to free school meals will be provided with lunch from our canteen. Year 6 will have a slightly adjusted lunchtime from the rest of the school to ensure all runs smoothly.
- The week commencing 16th July is our school charity week for our chosen charity – Nelson’s Journey, a Norfolk charity for young people. Throughout the week, there will be fundraising actvities, which pupils may wish to support. On 23rd July we do have a non-uniform day your child is welcome to participate in. The current Neatherd pupils are asked to donate a £1 per family in order to wear non-uniform, this is optional for your child to do this.
- We will be holding our New Intake Evening on Thursday 18th July, commencing at 7pm. This is when incoming pupils and their parents/carers will be provided with all the practical information required for starting in September. Myself and other senior staff will be present should you wish to consult us on any matter. The evening is also notable for the fact that pupils will meet their heads of house for the first time. Light refreshments will be available in the canteen where there will be the opportunity to order school uniform from the uniform suppliers. The evening should finish just after 8pm.
The Neatherd Friends Group, our Parent Support Advisor, School Health Practictioner, SENCO, representatives from the SEN department, the Gateway (where we work with Pupil Premium Students) and representatives from uniform suppliers Birds of Dereham will also be present. We do hope you can make the Intake Evening as we will be covering some important information, it will also be an opportunity for you to ask any questions. We would like you to bring your son/daughter with you.
If you have any queries regarding the above please don’t hesitate to contact me.
Miss S Manning