Our school is a well ordered community with an ethos which values hard work and examination success. We aim to keep students focused upon the tasks of understanding and learning so as to achieve the potential of individuals in every area of education. We aim to minimise the distractions to this ethos caused by fashion, fads and trends. We believe that our students should wear a definitive school uniform. The purpose of such a uniform is:
- Neatherd identity.
- Ease of recognition.
- Avoidance of fashion trends.
- Avoidance of stigma.
- Avoidance of controversy.
- Avoidance of offensive statements (as covered in the Equality Act).
- Maintenance of good order and personal safety.
In the same manner, a student’s appearance should satisfy the above points. Above all else we look for reasonableness and pride in our school. We have a gender neutral school uniform; students may wear any combination detailed below.
Full uniform is expected and must be worn at all times.
- The school blazer.
- A pale blue, button up to the neck shirt (not denim), suitable to be tucked in.
- A school tie which must have six stripes showing.
- The school navy jumper or cardigan with the Neatherd emblem (and NOT any other garment), this is an optional item.
- Dark blue, grey, black or white socks (coloured or patterned socks that can be seen at the shoe- line are not permitted).
- Either thick dark tights or flesh coloured sheer tights or appropriate socks* can be worn with all uniform.
- Black or brown shoes (backless shoes are not permitted, along with plimsolls, trainers and Ugg style boots).
- A plain navy or black tailored knee length skirt. All skirts will need to be checked for length and have a school emblem on the knee. Please ensure that skirts are not too short or too tight. No figure-hugging, Lycra skirts. Skirts purchased through Birds in Dereham will have an emblem on the knee. Students are welcome to take skirts from other retailers to Birds for approval at the small cost of embroidering on the school emblem.
- Navy, charcoal or black full length trousers. No figure hugging, tight skinny trousers or leggings.
- Knee length navy, charcoal or black tailored shorts.
After the Easter holiday, a pale blue buttoned t-shirt with the Neatherd school emblem on it in red may be worn in place of the shirt and tie. If students are cold, a blazer (and NOT another kind of jacket or sweatshirt) should be worn over the school polo shirt. Alternatively, students are free to continue wearing full winter uniform.
Full school uniform will be worn at all times unless permission is given for alternative arrangements in particular, the following are forbidden:
- Badges or logos with overt political, racial or offensive comments or messages.
- Hairstyles, hair colours or facial hair likely to be deemed inappropriate by the Headteacher and staff, or which cause a lack of focus from students’ learning.
- Hooded tops and other sweatshirts - if worn they will be confiscated.
- Make-up or nail varnish deemed to be excessive by the Headteacher and staff.
- A plain, dark coat or anorak may only be worn outside the buildings.
- Plain, formal scarves may also be worn outside BUT only with a plain coat. They are not allowed to be worn instead of a coat.
- *If wearing trousers, white, patterned or coloured socks should NOT be visible.
- Trainers should only be worn for sport or activities on the tennis courts and field during break and lunchtimes but should NOT be worn inside school.
- Allowed Jewellery; small stud earrings, a cross and light chain, or plain signet ring. Nasal or other forms of body piercing (including retainers) are forbidden.