Quick Links

Useful Links


01362 697981

Enrich Learning Trust celebrates the proud and individual identities of member schools, providing bespoke support and challenge to strive for the best outcomes for all children, developing and nurturing the whole child, creating a purposeful and happy family of schools.

Go to site

Music DepartmentMusic

For more information about the curriculum, please click here.

Welcome to the Music Department
The music department at Neatherd maintains a very hands-on, practical approach to music making. Every aspect of our wide ranging curriculum is presented for the students to explore through listening, performing and composing every lesson.

Accommodation and Resources
The music department is housed in its own purpose-built suite at the heart of the school site. There are two main teaching rooms. Both are fully equipped with the latest Yamaha keyboards which are used for performances and compositions. Other instruments are available for students to use in lessons. These include guitars and ukuleles. Students are also encouraged to play their own instruments in lessons. One of the music rooms has been furnished with MIDI compatible computers for every one of the keyboards. Both teaching rooms are fully equipped with hi-fi systems, mixing desks and interactive white-boards. There are also three practice rooms which serve as teaching spaces for our team of peripatetic instrumental teachers and practice spaces for students.

Instrumental Lessons

In addition to curriculum music, students can choose to learn to play from a range of instruments or to take singing lessons.  Instrumental lessons are available for drums, brass, strings, woodwind, keyboards/piano and bass and lead guitar. Lessons can be arranged through the music department and paid for through the ParentPay system. More information is available through music department staff.   

Music DepartmentExtracurricular Activities 
The music department is a lively, creative place where students and staff participate in a wide range of music making activities during and after school. 

Music clubs change from year to year to suit demand. Recent activities have included: Concert Band, Blues Band, Singing Club, Samba band, String Group, Rock Groups. All of the clubs work hard in preparation for different events throughout the year.

Examination Course
We run the Edexcel Music GCSE course which involves learning about extremely diverse musical tradition of both Western and non-Western music. Students perform both as soloists and as members of ensembles and submit compositions of their own; all of which makes up the coursework requirements (60% of the total course). The remaining 40% is a listening exam in which the students demonstrate their understanding of different musical genres.